Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pucker factor of 10+

In a nutshell, a personal situation almost got me killed this morning.
I was literally 1/2 second from a hospital stay (if I was lucky) this
morning on the way to work.

I was on the bike in the right lane of a 4 lane road doing 55mph when a
car coming the other way made a left right in front of me. The #1 cause
of motorcycle fatalities is a driver turning left in front of a
motorcycle. I should have seen him slow down. I should have seen him
signal. He shouldn't have made the left when he did, but he did. I found
myself locking the rear tire and debating whether to lay it down or jump
right before impact. I never want to be in that situation again, but I
was distracted. There was less than 10 feet between me and him when his
back bumper cleared my path.

No comments: