Sunday, April 18, 2010

another expensive day

It isn't cheap being a home brewer, but well worth it in the end and I
will save money in the long run. I just ordered almost $200 in
equipment, but that is another carboy (I have 4 now), bottle washer &
drying stand, 10 gallon fermenter for the fruit wines (fruit takes alot
of space in the bucket), corks, some bottles, airlocks, and other odds
and ends. Since the blueberry and apple are pretty well done I need to
do one more racking before I bottle in another month. Pretty much
everything is ready to rack off into other containers now, and I'm all
out of carboys. The good part is with the exception of cleaning supplies
and corks, everything I have bought so far is reusable from batch to
batch, so it gets cheaper from here on. All I should need to buy is some
more carboys on occasion as I start more batches of mead or wine. I
figure a batch ties up a carboy for at least 3 and maybe as much as 6
months, so I'll end up buying another 6 or so carboys in the next 6
months. That'll give me the capacity of 8 6 gallon batches in progress
at any one time with one empty for racking when needed.

No comments: