Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Motorcycle tail lights...

Last night I came to the conclusion that I hate the tail lights that
you're seeing on many crotch rockets these days. They are putting in
lights that are combination brake/tail/turn signals. The turn signals
definitely need to be separated form the brake/tail lights by at least 6
inches to be effective. These ones use LEDs to change one side or the
other of the brake/tail light amber when the signal is on. Last night on
the way home I was following a crotch rocket. Apparently he put on his
left signal and brakes at the same time. The amber flashing signal and
brake melded into one light barely brighter than the tail light was as a
result. I was almost on top of him before I even realized that he was
slowing down and had to slam on the brakes to keep from rear ending the
guy. If the lights had been separated as they usually are, I would have
seen both the flashing signal and the brake light in plenty of time.

No comments: