Sunday, November 22, 2009

What happened of note on 8/17/1930?

I've been going through old family photo albums, boxes of photos, etc.
and organizing them lately. In a plastic shopping bag buried in a box of
photos and albums I found a few sections from the August 17, 1930
edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer. The paper is in pretty bad shape,
but still readable if handled with care. Parts of it are starting to
fall apart on their own, so I am reluctant to fully un-fold this
historical gem just yet. I saw an ad for a new Hudson (car) for $885...

This leads me to ask the question of what happened that was so important
that someone thought to hang onto these 2 sections of newspaper for
nearly 80 years. This isn't a newspaper clipping, but what appears to be
2 whole sections of newspaper still folded as it came off the news stand
(more or less). The front page headlines that I could get to didn't
strike me as anything noteworthy, so I'm digging for an on-line archive
of this newspaper or information that might point me to the reason why
this paper was kept for so long.

I'm also looking for information on how I might preserve this item and
maybe be able to actually open it up fully and read it. For now, it is
safely stored away in a hard plastic box (the back side of a photograph
organizer I'm using to hold some of the thousands of prints I have to go
through) so that moisture exposure should be kept to a minimum and it is
protected from further physical damage as much as I possibly can for now.

If anyone has any advice or information, please pass it along as I am
dying to know what this contains.

No comments: