Saturday, January 16, 2010

Plywood khana - part deux

Well, after the encouraging results with the small scale model, I have
decided that it is time to build a full size ger using plywood for the
khana (if for no other reason than nobody else has done it). I bought 3
sheets of 3/8" exterior grade plywood today and headed for Garth's house
to do some serious cutting. We cut 72 1 7/8" pieces out of the 3 sheets
(and almost no waste at all except what the saw ate). We drilled 9 holes
in each on 10" centers. Now to give them a good coat of paint. My dad (a
house painter by trade) is looking into the best way to coat the ends
for waterproofing and then a coat or 2 of red & black paint. After they
are painted, I'll lace the khana together and see about the door frames
(2 of them for each ger). With some luck, I may have the roof ring up in
another month on the first of 2 16' gers.

No comments: