Saturday, January 02, 2010

The point of no (re)turn

Well, the bike is our of commission for now. With the cold lately, I
haven't had it out in a few weeks anyway. I've gotten tired of dirty
chrome, and still don't understand why motorcycles have so much of it in
the first place. It's a pain to keep it clean, so I decided it was time
to go stealth. I went out to the shed and had to take the seat, rear
fender, and headlight off the bike to get to the 4 turn signals. I
brought them inside and used the dremel and a sanding drum to rough up
the chrome. I gave them 2 coats of dark gray automotive primer and they
are drying. Later tonight I should be able to do a light sanding job on
them and then give them a coat of flat black paint. If I like the
results, the headlight bucket is next since I had to take it loose to
get the front signals off anyway. After that, I'll do the handlebars,
back rest supports, and any other chrome I can take off the bike to paint.

No comments: