Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why plywood is not a bad choice for a khana

One of the biggest arguments against using plywood is that it may
delaminate over time, especially when exposed to water. I can't count
the number of people who have mentioned this concern to me when I talked
about the idea. I wasn't all that concerned about delamination but
couldn't come up with a good reason why. Tonight that reason came to me
when I was tarping the trailer because of the rain to keep the khana dry
(the recently cut edges are still unpainted).

In my backyard, I have 2 small pieces of wood (roughly 1'x1') that I use
to set the side stand of my bike on when I pull up by my shed due to the
ground being soft and sandy. These pieces of wood were cut from 3/8"
interior grade plywood a few years ago when I made our camp sinks. They
have sat outside on the ground, unprotected and unpainted for at least 3
years now and they are still in good shape. There is no sign of
delamination on these pieces.

Now, considering that these 2 gers will be set up and used for about 3
weeks total every year and stored in the shed out of the weather when
not in use, I see no reason why they should not last at least 10 years
without any issue of delamination (I bet i'll break a few long before
that happens).

No comments: