Saturday, March 07, 2009

Making candles...

Today I decided to finally try my hand at candle making. I got a starter
kit for votives and have 8 candles that I just topped off for the final
time. If this works out the way I think it will, I will be making the
votives for us to burn when we camp from now on. I figure I can make
them for about 1/2 the price it would cost us if we bought them. I am
going to buy wick pins and some wicks in bulk, because the ones at
Michaels are very pricey by comparison. It worked for the started kit,
but I plan on making about 100 candles for camp and home if this works
out. Next I may try a jar candle or something like that. We're going to
start saving the dead ends of candles and re-melting them so that I can
make new candles out of the remains. We'll find out tomorrow how good
these are when we actually light one. :) I have to wait a while longer
to remove them from the molds because I just added a little to the
molds. As a candle cools, the top collapses and there is a valley left
in the top. It takes another pour or 2 to top the candle molds off
properly. If nothing else, this is a fun project.

No comments: